Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not a Bad Start

We're off to a good start for 2013!  On January 4, 2013, the Court of Appeals for the Second District of Texas (Fort Worth) issued the opinion in Ross v. The State of Texas, an appeal I spent a large part of 2012 working on.  The Court of Appeals affirmed in part and reversed and remanded the cases back to Denton County for new punishment trials!  It's not total relief because it means a new punishment trial only but anytime you get a case reversed and remanded it's a win.  However, I am looking into the possibility of filing a petition for discretionary review with the Court of Criminal Appeals to try to get total relief.  I will keep everyone posted on that.

Also, so far this year - and it's only January 15th - I've already received dismissals on 2 cases!  One dismissal is for an assault family violence case.  The other is for fictitious inspection sticker.  The assault case was set for trial this week and the inspection sticker ticket was set for trial at the end of the month.  I was supposed to be in trial this week on the assault case and on a DWI case.  On the DWI case the state filed a motion for continuance. 

Last week I was in Lubbock speaking at the Prairie Dog Criminal Law Seminar.  There were about 180 lawyers and judges in attendance.  I talked about effectively and zealously representing court appointed clients.  Afterward, I was invited to give the same talk at another criminal law seminar later this year.

The courthouse doors have only been open for 10 days this year but already things are looking good.  It's going to be a very good year!

2 comments:

  1. Well this is a nice surprise. Thanks for sharing about what's going on in y'alls life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is GREAT!! I just told the family I did not even know you were working this case. WOW!! I have so much faith in your work keep it up, Denton needs a lawyer like you to put their behinds in check...

    ReplyDelete